Monday 5 July 2010

Oh wow (thanks mr hudson)

My buddy and fellow MA'er Mr John Hudson saw me messing about with some image tests for this new project and in true hudson form said "oh you should check out (insert interesting link here)"

This time round the link was Daniel Brown part of the play/create group. At the time we couldn't see the website for lack of pluggins but I have just spent a great deal of time just playing with their intereactive pieces @ http://www.play-create.com

I have seen some of browns work before at the DECODE exhibition a few months back at the V&A. It was a bit of an odd installation though which i don't think many people were fully aware of. It was actually being projected on the wall before you went into the main exhibit, a giant 10 ft+ projection of plants and flowers, being created via a computer.



Now this is something that I've been thinking about for a number of years now, it's actually on my CV as a work in progress which I started thinking about 4 or 5 years ago, but haven't had the time or visionary breakthrough to pursue.



It's the concept of recreating natural movement or natural organic growth but within a computer, something I called 'Artificial Nurture.'

I'll come back to this later as the connection has only come to me mid blog.

Anyway, check out play create and Daniel Browns website too.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm sure you're familiar, but maybe have a look at Jennifer Steincamp's nature/flower animations, or even Pipilotti Rist's projections she did at (I think) MoMA last year... I used to have a Warhol quote about how he wanted to create "a flower's flower," a sort of hybrid synthetic flower made up of other flowers. I'll see if I have it around somewhere, but I think this kind of work is interesting. :)

    Jared

    ReplyDelete
  2. FLOWERS!
    Nick Knight did some simple, but rather nice work with Floral stuff, I have some in a book at home.
    There's also some interesting made up fauna from Joan Fontcuberta, and some toobin' stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvTvaxVySlE&feature=related & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ZUOFpRhWg&feature=related
    I've got something else in mind, but I forget what... hmmm.

    ReplyDelete