Tuesday 7 December 2010

The Medium

I want to have a conversation with you, just a chat, dialogue back and forth, back and forth.

I then want to have a conversation with you, just a chat, dialogue back and forth, back and forth.

I want to record this both sound and vision.

I then want to remove myself from this conversation, this chat, the dialogue remains

back and forth, back and forth.


The definition of Medium:

an intervening agency, means, or instrument by which something is conveyed or accomplished: Words are a medium of expression.


an intervening substance, as air, through which a force acts or an effect is produced.


one of the means or channels of general communication, information, or entertainment in society, as newspapers, radio, or television.


I will play the medium, the messenger.

I will ask a question, get a response, be asked a question in return.
I will pose that question to someone else, get a response, be asked a question in return.
I will pose that question to someone else, get a response, be asked a question in return.
......................................

A chain of dialogue will form, from which I the medium will be removed.

Conversation will remain. A complete conversation that never took place. Time and distance will blur.

This is the plan.

2 comments:

  1. It struck me when I read this that it has echoes of your first project in which you explored images and memories from your childhood. I remember you said you saw many photographs of events you don't remember at all, and so photography became the medium through which representations of the past occurred in the absence of personal autobiographical memory. They are artefacts that prove you were there but you and these events/situations are absent spaces in your own memory. In this new project you will absent yourself physically and deliberately from the final artefact, create something that will appear 'real' but never actually took place. You were there but nobody will know, like you were there in those childhood images but without the physical artefact you wouldn't know! Some kind of mirror Jayum, do you see what I am saying?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey! I did kinda have this in mind but you've explained it here in a far more tangible and eloquent way than I would have.

    I want that mirror effect thoughout all my pieces, but I think that sort of thing does naturally occur when creating work for yourself.

    I have another tie in too which I'll chat about in reality tomorrow and on here after some feedback.

    ReplyDelete