Wednesday 3 November 2010

Twin Towns

This is something that has come up a couple of times in conversations about my project with others.

With this idea of multi locational interaction and study, the concept of twin towns is an interesting area of research. What's it all about?

On a personnel level I have twin towns in my life. Living in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire and working in Lincoln, Lincolnshire.

I lead a double life and spend equal amounts of time during each and every week in both locations.

I think a starting point for some new work would be to use these initial locations as a starting point. After all, I have access and knowledge of the 2 spaces already.

Just now though I looked up Bishop's Stortford to find it's twin town only to discover that it's a place called Villiers-sur-Marne in France. A Parisian suburb.

But hang on i thought, that name sounds familiar. Looking back through my research for project 1 I found the connection here in a post from almost a year ago in relation to Louis Daguerre.



The diorama in the church, a place I was longing to visit is in a village called Bry-sur-Marne, France

Turns out, it's located 2.6km from Stortfords twin town, a 11 min drive, a 32 min walk.


A sign? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment